Young Scholars Program
PhYSics Young Scholars program welcomes high school students from the Urbana-Champaign area to explore exciting careers in scientific research. The summer program will help these students better understand how we ask and answer questions in science. They will be embedded in research laboratories in the Physics, Mechanical Sciences and Engineering departments where they will shadow undergraduate or graduate student researchers during a six week program. The Young Scholars will also make measurements and analyze results as part of the work in their research group. The capstone activity will be a poster session at the end of the program where the high school students will present their work to their peers, research mentors, teachers and parents. The student researchers will also act as mentors for the high school students and will be trained in mentoring workshops facilitated by members of the Illinois partnership for the Identities of Students in Engineering (I-RISE). Special programming will be provided for the high school students, including discussions of college applications and financial aid, college life, poster preparation, as well as a range of research talks by the mentors.
Please check https://wyse.engineering.illinois.edu/young-scholars-research-program for program information.
- Introduce students to scientific research and promote career opportunities in the field
- Help students gain knowledge in a variety of science applications
- Help students gain an understanding of science and its local and global impact
- Work in a cutting-edge research laboratory
- Pursue higher education goals
- Builds resume
- Get a taste of college life
- Participants receive a $2,000 stipend