New Graduate Students 2018

New Graduate Student Check-list

_____You will need to bring your original and unexpired documents with you to Room 227 Loomis Lab when you check-in. You will be completing an I-9 employment form. The list of acceptable documents you will need is here: Most students bring their passport, driver's license and social security card. In addition, you will also need to complete some online employment forms. That information will be sent to you via e-mail after you check-in at the Physics Department. If you already have a US social security number, please bring your original card with you as that will be needed for employment name verification purposes.

_____All international students must check-in with the International Student and Scholar Services Office. Refer to the information at this link for details:  

_____All new students should claim the Net ID and set a password. Your Net ID will be the first part of your illinois e-mail address before the @ sign. You can claim your Net ID via this link:

_____All new students should set up the University e-mail account via this link: should begin using your Illinois e-mail and check it often because many important messages will be sent.

_____All new students should get a University Identification Card (I-Card). The I-Card Office is located on the first floor of the Illini Union Bookstore. See this link for details:

_____If you are an international student and you do not have a US social security number, you should obtain a TCN (temporary control number) from the I-Card Office (this can be done at the same time you get your ID Card - see item above). Take the TCN to Wendy in Room 227 Loomis Lab.

_____If your official admission letter from the Graduate College indicated that you need to provide final, official transcripts or degree certificates, you should bring them with you (in an original, sealed envelope), or have them sent from your school to Wendy Wimmer in the Physics Department, or if your school utilizes an online transcript download system, have the password for downloading them sent to Wendy at For transcripts from international schools, if you only have one set of original transcripts or degree certificates, and you need them back, you should take the originals to the Graduate Admissions Office located in Room 204 Coble Hall. They will make one true copy and give the originals back to you. An original transcript is required for all domestic schools.

____You will need to have an advising meeting with the Director of Graduate Studies for the Physics Department to discuss which courses you should take. A meeting will be arranged for you when you check-in with the Physics Department. Information about courses is here:

____After you have had your advising meeting, register for courses via the Enterprise System at this link: You will need to enter the Course Registration Number to register for a course. Those numbers are here:

____For those students who will be a Teaching Assistant (TA), please enter your schedule via the following link (Please wait to fill this out until after your course advising meeting):

____Be sure to attend the Physics Departmental Orientation. This is required for all incoming graduate students. Even if you began in the Summer, you should still attend this Orientation! Friday, August 17th beginning at 10:00 a.m. in Room 204 Loomis Lab.

____Verify and update your personal information in the UI-Integrate Self-Service System (it is very important to keep your address up to date):

____Familiarize yourself with Student Health Insurance: The University student health insurance plan is assessed automatically for all students upon course registration, unless you have proof of comparable health care coverage from another, approved source.

____Complete the required new student health immunization forms:

____Familiarize yourself with Student Account and Billing Information (fees and payment due dates):

____Familiarize yourself with the Qualifying Exam information (The exam will be held on Monday and Tuesday evenings, August 27 and August 28, 5:30 - 10:00 p.m. in Room 141 Loomis Lab, arrive at 5:30 for check-in). New students can take the Qual as a Free Shot. This link has the Qual information:

____For Non-Native English Speakers: If your official admission letter from the Graduate College indicated that you are required to take the ESL (English Placement Test), you should register for that test right away via this link:

____For those students who will be a Teaching Assistant (TA) with classroom teaching duties, there is a mandatory campus orientation called the Graduate Academy for Teaching. It will take place on August 20 and August 21 beginning at 8:30 a.m. in Foellinger Auditorium located at 709 S. Mathews Avenue on campus. Both days are required and attendance will be taken. As part of this TA Orientation, you will also need to complete a micro-teaching session that can be scheduled at your convenience.

____For those students who will be a Grader TA who will do grading only and not have any classroom teaching duties, there is a mandatory campus orientation called the Graduate Symposium for Graders. It will take place on August 21, beginning at 8:30 a.m. in Room 1065 Lincoln Hall. Attendance will be taken.

____Attend the Physics Department Annual Microaggressions Workshop that all incoming grad students are required to attend. It will be held from 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. in Room 204 Loomis Lab on Tuesday, August 21.

____For International Students: Register for a Foreign National Tax Status Review Appointment. This is very important to ensure you are taxed at the correct rate. Register for a tax appointment via the following link for any date after August 28: (Be sure to choose "New Employee" NOT “Renewal Employee”).

___Attend the New Graduate Student Welcome Picnic to be held on Saturday, September 15th beginning at 4:00 p.m. at the Illini Grove Pavilion (located at the corner of Lincoln and Pennsylvania Avenues, about three blocks South of Loomis Lab).

If you have any questions, please contact Wendy in the Physics Graduate Office via e-mail at or come to Room 227 Loomis Lab.