Liquid Helium Facility
- AL 425 meters used to measure recovered gas. Readings are taken once a month for billing purposes.
- Helium Liquefier, Linde 1410 with a 1,000 liter storage dewar
- Liquefier compressor is cooled with a closed loop chilled water system supplied by campus
- Recovery bag capacity: 400 cubic feet, manufactured by Flexi Liner
- Recovered gas is compressed by the Bauer compressor and stored in high pressure tanks until processed by the Helium Liquefier
- Liquid Nitrogen
- Gaseous Helium
- Liquid Helium
- Liquid Helium Recovery
$25.00/100 cubic feet
- Helium Dewar Rental
$5.00 (first day)
$10.00/day after the first day
If you would like to place an order with the Physics Liquid Helium Facility, please contact the Department of Physics Business Office at 217.244.7636 to become a preauthorized PI.
Location: 171 Loomis
Hours: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
1:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
News About Helium
- March 2015, "Illinois lightens financial burden with new helium recycling initiative", Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment.
- May 2012, "Resources: Stop squandering helium", Nature. International weekly journal of science.
- May 2012, "Congress turns its attention to...America's helium crisis", Ezra Klein's Wonkblog at the Washington Post.