A Bachelor of Science in Physics from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign lays an excellent foundation for a wide array of career opportunities. Whether your ultimate goal is to work in science, finance, technology, medicine, law, engineering, or science education, the analytical skills and training in fundamental science you gain at Illinois Physics will prove a great advantage to your success.
We offer a rigorous curriculum that is holistic in its approach to training the next generation of great scientists and professionals. As a student at Illinois Physics, you will
- develop higher-order thinking competencies through individual and collaborative learning.
- train alongside scientists at the leading edge of discovery and innovation.
- experience our unique "Urbana style" of physics research, defined by its collegial spirit and open collaboration across areas of expertise.
- benefit from the innovative and proven teaching methodologies and classroom tools, developed by our physicists for our students, and adopted by other programs worldwide.
- improve your communication and technical writing skills.
Approximately half of our degree earners enter a graduate program in physics or another field immediately after graduation. The other half enter directly into professional careers in industry, government, teaching, and private organizations.
As you consider whether Illinois Physics is a good fit for you, you may also want to check out our core research areas and our professors' bio-pages, as well as our student organizations. Many of our students decide to conduct research as an undergraduate, please check out the faculty research pages to see available opportunities.