Travel Fund Application
The purpose of the Department of Physics Graduate Student Travel Award Fund is to provide opportunities for graduate students to attend special conferences or workshops or to participate in professional development activities that are not funded by their advisers' research grants. Travel Awards will typically be limited to a maximum of $600.
The 2018-2019 Physics Grad Travel Award program will be divided into three time periods, and we anticipate making 5-8 awards during each period, pending the availability of funds. Applications must be submitted by the following dates:
- September 1, 2018, for September 1, 2018 – January 31, 2019 conference travel
- February 1, 2019, for February 1 – May 31, 2019 conference travel
- May 1, 2019, for June 1 – August 31, 2019 conference travel
Applications will not be accepted for post-travel reimbursement, and the application must be received at least 30 days before the requested travel commences. Questions about deadlines and submissions should be directed to Professor Lance Cooper (email@example.com), associate head for graduate programs.
Application Evaluation Process
Applications will be reviewed by a graduate student committee appointed by the associate head for graduate programs, and final decisions will be made by the associate head for graduate programs. Applicants will be informed of the final decisions. All decisions of the associate head are final.
Application Review Criteria
Review criteria include:
- An assessment of how the proposed travel will contribute to the student's professional development.
- The student's past history of travel support by the department.
- Time remaining to PhD degree.
A complete Graduate Travel Award application consists of the following items: