Peter E Schiffer
Primary Research Area
- Condensed Matter Physics
Frederick W. Beinecke Professor of Applied Physics, Yale, New Haven, CT
For more information
Novel magnetic materials are important technologically and also provide excellent model systems in which to explore new physics. Recent research topics under study by Professor Schiffer's group include geometrically frustrated magnets, in which the spins enter cooperative spin liquid and spin ice phases at low temperatures; exotic oxides that display both magnetic and electronic order; and frustrated lattices of interacting ferromagnetic nanostructures, in which the local accommodation of frustration can be directly observed.
Selected Articles in Journals
- "Deliberate exotic magnetism via frustration and topology", Cristiano Nisoli, Vassilios Kapaklis, and Peter Schiffer, Nature Physics 13, 200-203 (2017).
- "Understanding magnetotransport signatures in networks of connected permalloy nanowires" B. L. Le, J.-S. Park, J. Sklenar, G.-W. Chern, C. Nisoli, J. Watts, M. Manno, D. W. Rench, N. Samarth, C. Leighton, P. Schiffer, Physical Review B 95, 060405(R) 1-5 (2017).
- "Atomically engineered ferroic layers yield a room-temperature magnetoelectric multiferroic", Julia A. Mundy, Charles M. Brooks, Megan E. Holtz, Jarrett A. Moyer, Hena Das, Alejandro F. Rebola, John T. Heron, James D. Clarkson, Steven M. Disseler, Zhiqi Liu, Alan Farhan, Rainer Held, Robert Hovden, Elliot Padgett, Qingyun Mao, Hanjong Paik, Rajiv Misra, Lena F. Kourkoutis, Elke Arenholz, Andreas Scholl, Julie A. Borchers, William D. Ratcliff, Ramamoorthy Ramesh, Craig J. Fennie, Peter Schiffer, David A. Muller & Darrell G. Schlom Nature 537, 523-527 (2016).
- “Frustration by design”, Ian Gilbert, Cristiano Nisoli and Peter Schiffer Physics Today 69, 54-59 (2016).
- "Emergent reduced dimensionality by vertex frustration in artificial spin ice," Ian Gilbert, Yuyang Lao, Isaac Carrasquillo, Liam O'Brien, Justin D. Watts, Michael Manno, Chris Leighton, Andreas Scholl, Cristiano Nisoli & Peter Schiffer Nature Physics 12, 162-165 (2016).
- "Emergent ice rule and magnetic charge screening from vertex frustration in artificial spin ice," Ian Gilbert, Gia-Wei Chern, Sheng Zhang, Liam O'Brien, Bryce Fore, Cristiano Nisoli, and Peter Schiffer, Nature Physics 10, 670-675 (2014).
- "Artificial spin ice: Designing and imaging magnetic frustration," Cristiano Nisoli, Roderich Moessner, and Peter Schiffer Reviews of Modern Physics 85, 1473-1490 (2013).
- "Crystallites of magnetic charges in artificial spin ice," Sheng Zhang, Ian Gilbert, Cristiano Nisoli, Gia-Wei Chern, Michael J. Erickson, Liam O'Brien, Chris Leighton, Paul E. Lammert, Vincent H. Crespi and Peter Schiffer, Nature 500, 553-557 (2013).
- "High-temperature onset of field-induced transitions in the spin-ice compound Dy2Ti2O7," M. J. Matthews, C. Castelnovo, R. Moessner, S. A. Grigera, D. Prabhakaran, and P. Schiffer, Physical Review B 86, 214419 - 1-6 (2012).
- "Perpendicular Magnetization and Generic Realization of the Ising Model in Artificial Spin Ice," Sheng Zhang, Jie Li, Ian Gilbert, Jason Bartell, Michael J. Erickson, Yu Pan, Paul E. Lammert, Cristiano Nisoli, K. K. Kohli, Rajiv Misra, Vincent H. Crespi, Nitin Samarth, C. Leighton, and Peter Schiffer, Physical Review Letters 109, 087201 - 1-4 (2012).
- "Ignoring Your Neighbors: Moment Correlations Dominated by Indirect or Distant Interactions in an Ordered Nanomagnet Array," Sheng Zhang, Jie Li, Jason Bartell, Xianglin Ke, Cristiano Nisoli, Paul E. Lammert, Vincent H. Crespi, and Peter Schiffer Physical Review Letters 107, 117204 - 1-4 (2011).
- "Low-velocity granular drag in reduced gravity" D. J. Costantino, J. Bartell, K. Scheidler, and P. Schiffer Physical Review E 83, 011305 - 1-4 (2011).
- "Direct entropy determination and application to artificial spin ice" Paul E. Lammert, Xianglin Ke, Jie Li, Cristiano Nisoli, David M. Garand, Vincent H. Crespi, and Peter Schiffer, Nature Physics 6, 786-789 (2010).
- "A strong ferroelectric ferromagnet created by means of spin-lattice coupling", June Hyuk, Lee, Lei Fang, Eftihia Vlahos, Xianglin Ke, Young Woo Jung, Lena Fitting Kourkoutis, Jong-Woo Kim, Philip J. Ryan, Tassilo Heeg, Martin Roeckerath, Veronica Goian, Margitta Bernhagen, Reinhard Uecker, P. Chris Hammel, Karin M. Rabe, Stanislav Kamba, Juergen Schubert, John W. Freeland, David A. Muller, Craig J. Fennie, Peter Schiffer, Venkatraman Gopalan, Ezekiel Johnston-Halperin, Darrell G. Schlom, Nature 466, 954-958 (2010).
- "Transition from Rolling to Jamming in Thin Granular Layers", C. Marone, B. M. Carpenter, and P. Schiffer Physical Review Letters 101, 248001 - 1-4 (2008).
- "Energy Minimization and ac Demagnetization in a Nanomagnet Array", X. Ke, J. Li, C. Nisoli, Paul E. Lammert, W. McConville, R. F. Wang, V. H. Crespi, and P. Schiffer Physical Review Letters 101, 037205 - 1-4 (2008).
- "Starting to Move Through a Granular Medium" D. J. Costantino, T. J. Scheidemantel, M. B. Stone, C. Conger, K. Klein, M. Lohr, Z. Modig, P. Schiffer Physical Review Letters 101, 108001 - 1-4 (2008).
- "Non-Monotonic Zero Point Entropy in Diluted Spin Ice" X. Ke, R. S. Freitas, B. G. Ueland, G. C. Lau, M. L. Dahlberg, R. J. Cava, R. Moessner, P. Schiffer Physical Review Letters 99, 137203 - 1-4 (2007).
- "Packing Grains by Thermally Cycling" K. Chen, J. Cole, C. Conger, J. Draskovic, M. Lohr, K. Klein, T. Scheidemantel, P. Schiffer, Nature 442, 257 (2006).
- "Zero Point Entropy in Stuffed Spin Ice" G.C. Lau, R.S. Freitas, B.G. Ueland, B.D. Muegge, E.L. Duncan, P. Schiffer, and R.J. Cava Nature Physics 2, 249-253 (2006).
- "Artificial 'Spin Ice' in a Geometrically Frustrated Lattice of Nanoscale Ferromagnetic Islands", R. F. Wang, C. Nisoli, R. S. Freitas, J. Li, W. McConville, B. J. Cooley, M. S. Lund, N. Samarth, C. Leighton, V. H. Crespi, P. Schiffer, Nature 439, 303-306 (2006).
- Fellow, American Physical Society (2004)
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow (1998)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), Army Research Office (1997)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1997)
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Teaching Excellence, Eberly College of Science, Pennsylvania State University (2008)
- Faculty Scholar Medal in the Physical Sciences, Pennsylvania State University (2006)