M-Th: 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
F: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Engineering Science Building:
M-F: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
At Illinois, great research facilities enable collaborative, interdisciplinary projects. Our faculty, postdocs, and students work in laboratories housed within our three-building complex, comprising Loomis Laboratory of Physics, Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (MRL), and portions of Engineering Sciences Building (ESB). This complex also offers a Physics Machine Shop, Physics Liquid Helium Facility, and Physics Interaction Room. Beyond our own state-of-the-art research laboratories, physics faculty and students make use of specialized research infrastructure and equipment at campus-wide facilities. Some faculty also carry out research at two national labs within two hours' driving distance of campus, Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
Loomis Lab Facilities
Physics Machine Shop
Professional machine shop has CNC capabilities. Associated student shop available (mills, lathes, band saw, drill presses, 2-axis CNC milling machine) with yearly key fee.
All machine shop orders should be placed on line. Please contact the physics business office at 217.333.0573 to become a preauthorized PI before placing an order.
Physics Liquid Helium Facility
All nitrogen, gaseous helium and liquid helium ordered on line. Please contact the physics business office at 217.333.0573 to become a preauthorized PI before placing an order.
Physics Interaction Room
This space has developed as a hub of intellectual energy and now hosts many interactions where faculty, post-docs, graduate students, and upper-level undergraduate Physics majors meet to study and discuss Physics.
Collaborative Research Facilities at Illinois
- Beckman Institute for Advanced Science & Technology
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
- Blue Waters petascale computing facility at NCSA
- Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB)
- Center for the Physics of Living Cells (CPLC)
- Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (MRL)
- Institute for Condensed Matter Theory (ICMT)
- Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (MNTL)
- NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling & Bioinformatics
Other Machine Shops/Research Facilities
School of Chemical Sciences Electronics Shop
They have SMT assembly equipment (reflow oven, part picker). They can make two-layer boards on site.
School of Chemical Sciences Glass Shop
They have a wet saw available for use by students.
School of Chemical Sciences Machine Shop
Student machine shop available to students of PIs having appointments in SCS.
They carry a lot of Swagelok compatible hardware and basic tools. They carry many stock materials (steel, aluminum, copper, etc).
Engineering Office of Safety
The College of Engineering is dedicated to protecting the environment, health, and safety for all those who work or visit the College as well as protecting our community. Thus, the College pledges to:
- Create a safe and healthy workplace;
- Maintain a respect for the environment; and
- Respect and adhere to all applicable laws, regulations, and University environmental, health, and safety requirements.