A bachelor's degree in physics from the University of Illinois lays an excellent foundation for a wide array of career opportunities. Whether your ultimate goal is to work in science, finance, technology, medicine, law, engineering, or science education, the analytical skills and training in fundamental science you gain at Physics Illinois will prove a great advantage to your success.
We offer a rigorous curriculum that is holistic in its approach to training the next generation of great scientists and professionals. As a student at Physics Illinois, you will
- develop higher-order thinking competencies through individual and collaborative learning.
- train alongside scientists at the leading edge of discovery and innovation.
- experience our unique "Urbana style" of physics research, defined by its collegial spirit and open collaboration across areas of expertise.
- benefit from the innovative and proven teaching methodologies and classroom tools, developed by our physicists for our students, and adopted by other programs worldwide.
- improve your communication and technical writing skills.
Approximately 70 percent of our degree earners enter a graduate program in physics or another field immediately after graduation. About 30 percent enter directly into professional careers in industry, government, teaching, and private organizations.
As you consider whether Physics Illinois is a good fit for you, you may also want to check out our core research areas and our professors' bio-pages, as well as our student organizations. If you are interested in doing research as an undergraduate, please also check out our new Undergrad Research Readiness Portal (URRP), designed to match students with open research positions.