Research Experience for Undergrads
The Physics Department at the University of Illinois has offered an NSF-sponsored Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program since 1999. Our 10-week summer program is available to United States citizens who are students at institutions other than the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. U. of I. students interested in attending an REU program can explore options at the national site.
Students participating in this program spend the summer (May 28, 2019 — August 2, 2019) on the Illinois campus working closely and directly with senior physics faculty on challenging, meaningful projects aimed at developing their "research literacy" skills and their exposure to the diversity of physics subfields.
REU 2019 Information
To receive full consideration for the program, apply online by March 1, 2019. A completed application consists of the following:
- an online application, which requires 2 references, and
- an official transcript sent from the registrar's office of the student's current institution.
Transcripts should be mailed to:
Attn: REU Applications
Department of Physics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1110 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
If your school offers it, certified electronic transcripts will also be accepted.
- Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program.
- Students must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident.
- Students must have completed their sophomore year by June 2019 with at least 4 semesters of physics with an average technical (math/physics) grade point average of 3.0/4.0.
- Students must be a major in physics or a related field.
- Applications are not accepted from currently enrolled students at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Offers will be made on a rolling basis after the application deadline until all positions are filled. Awardees will be notified by e-mail of their acceptance into the program and will be given a specific time window to accept or decline the offer.
The REU summer site program of the Department of Physics at the University of Illinois is supported by the National Science Foundation, grant PHY-1659598. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed on this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Additional funding has been provided by the Department of Physics and by our generous alumni donors. Click here for more information on how you can support our programs.