Liquid Helium Facility
- Location: 171 Loomis
- Hours: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
1:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- Phone: 217.333.1591
- Email Us
- AL 425 meters used to measure recovered gas. Readings are taken once a month for billing purposes.
- Helium Liquefier, Linde 1410 with a 1,000 liter storage dewar
- Liquefier compressor is cooled with a closed loop chilled water system supplied by campus
- Recovery bag capacity: 400 cubic feet, manufactured by Flexi Liner
- Recovered gas is compressed by the Bauer compressor and stored in high pressure tanks until processed by the Helium Liquefier
- Liquid Nitrogen
- Gaseous Helium
- Liquid Helium
- Liquid Helium Recovery
$25.00/100 cubic feet
- Helium Dewar Rental
If you would like to place an order with the Physics Liquid Helium Facility, please contact the Department of Physics Business Office at 217.244.7636 to become a preauthorized PI. Then place an order online.
News About Helium
- March 2015, "Illinois lightens financial burden with new helium recycling initiative", Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment.
- May 2012, "Resources: Stop squandering helium", Nature. International weekly journal of science.
- May 2012, "Congress turns its attention to...America's helium crisis", Ezra Klein's Wonkblog at the Washington Post.